Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Lil Wayne talks sports

Came across this today...Lil wayne blogging for espn: amazing!

First of all, wow. I am overwhelmed by the response to my first blog entry. I think I read the first 402 comments. A lot of them were crazy. A thousand comments in the first day? That makes me happy. I've been telling people, "Man I got a blog on ESPN," and they go, "Yeah, boy, but you're latest song is crazy!" and I'm like, "I know, but did you see my blog?" I am so excited to have this opportunity. You don't understand. I got ESPN tattooed on my arm. I've had it for at least three months now, so that should show you how seriously I'm gonna take this. I know some people out there don't think it's really me, but you have to prove a lot of things when you're an entertainer, so I'm used to it.

I got a lot of phone calls about the blog from people I know, too. Everybody I talked to liked it, and even people I didn't expect are looking at it. For example, I did a GQ interview the day after it came out, and the reporter was like, "By the way, I love the blog." And I thought, "Wow, ok. People are seeing this."

My brother Ocho Cinco gave me a personal message to put in the blog, and that's that "he wants to win," end quote. My man Chris Paul called mad 'cause I didn't say nothing about him. He was kinda upset.

LIL WAYNE ON THE NFL

First off, my heart goes out to Richard Collier on the Jaguars and the kicker from Tampa Bay, Matt Bryant, who lost his baby. He went out and played, too, on Sunday. That, to me, is the definition of amazing.

Now on to Brett Favre. He must know God's phone number, 'cause he is superhuman. Like, Brett Farve? Come on. He's like 3900 years old and he threw for six touchdowns? He's never even done that in his whole career. And he does it with the Jets when no one is expecting nothing from him. There's a reason why he's my favorite player of all-time. He's getting better with time, as scary as that sounds. It's a great thing to watch. He still takes those shots. He still takes those risks. And those receivers were amazing, and the line, man, the offensive line was unexplainable.

As a Packers fan, it actually doesn't bother me to see Favre go off like that, 'cause it's an AFC team that he plays for. It's kind of like a double positive for me. I'm glad when the Packers do well, and I'm extra glad when Brett Favre does well. The only way the Packers and Jets will meet is if it's the Super Bowl, and that would just be a wonderful dream come true. If that happened, I wouldn't be rooting for anybody. I'd just sit back and enjoy a great football game. But that's too far down the line, and I'm not tryin' to jinx it.

I liked the majority of what I saw in the Packers game Sunday. I know this kid Aaron Rodgers is a fighter, and I really hope he comes back for the next game, because it really wouldn't look good to go out after four games after backing up someone who's never missed a game.

It's a tricky thing. They say shoulder, and when they say that, that means he could be seriously injured. It's like me telling you, "I'm sick," but not telling you what's sick about me. I'm skeptical about it because when you say something like he has a sprained shoulder, come on, who sprains their shoulder? I've never sprained my shoulder. And when I sprain my ankle or my wrist, it takes a few weeks for me to feel better. I'm not an athlete, but that's just how it goes. You have to watch that, when they start talking about your shoulder. It starts out with the back-up taking more and more snaps in practice this week, and then the next thing you know, you've got a new QB in there on Sunday. So, I'm a little nervous. A little skeptical.

I'm gonna watch the baseball games today at my house. On Sundays, I pretty much don't leave my house until after all the games are over, and then I go into the studio. I have five TVs in my house and we have like 85 TVs in the studio, and all of them will be on different sports. We have just the scoreboard, and I have the ticker and all the packages and all that. I always have people over watching the football games, because we're all in fantasy leagues. I have a wonderful chef and he cooks whatever I like. During the games it's usually steak and lobster. I'm a steak and lobster dude. My friends don't get their choice of food, they just gotta eat whatever I was feeling that day.

I won my fantasy football match-up this week, by the way. I slayed 'em 79-43. I'm 3-1 now. They still don't know it's me, even though I use my real name, Dwayne Carter, on there. Even if there's a guy who knows who I am, he's probably looking at that and going, yeah, whatever. I still feel like it was a good call to drop Roethlisberger. This week I started Campbell from the Redskins, and that was great.

People were also asking in the blog comments why don't I like the Saints? I do like the Saints, but I'm not a Saints fan first, and that's only because that shows my true love for sports. I'm not just gonna choose a favorite team just 'cause that's my city. The only reason why I'm a Saints fan is because that's my city, but I'm a true Packers fan.

LIL WAYNE ON MLB

The Red Sox start the playoffs this week, and my thoughts are up in the air about them because, honestly, their chances are up in the air. I'm so grateful they made the post-season, but I'm kind of not sure about them. You know how you can envision a team in the World Series? I don't see them. I close my eyes and I see the Tampa Bay Rays. I'm a big emotion guy. I'm a heart guy, and I think they all play that way. They have nothing to compare this to. Whether they make it to the World Series or not, we're watching the first winning baseball team Tampa Bay has ever fielded. That right there is always amazing, no matter who the team is. I am actually trying to go down there to catch two games at the end of the week if I can. Maybe sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" or throw out the first pitch. You never know. You know they need somebody to throw the first pitch. That would be my first major league game. My dream is still to catch one at Fenway, of course.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Man-Ram this week against the Cubs. You can't put nothing past Manny's bat. You cannot beat him. Also, you can't put nothing past the manager, Joe Torre. Both the Cubs and Dodgers are in significant positions. Like, if the Cubs win, you already know they're going to the World Series. And if the Dodgers win it's a crazy story because of their new skipper and Man-Ram and everything. I've been thinking about this and I used to see the Cubs winning the World Series a few weeks ago, but now I see the Dodgers knocking them out. Why? Steve Bartman. (I'm kidding.)

But you know, everything the Rays have going for them the Cubs have going against them. They've got the weight of losing for 100 years on their shoulders. I mean, I always say athletes are professionals, and those Cub players will be able to physically perform under that kind of pressure But mentally? That's where it gets crazy. Because if one thing happens, one close call doesn't go their way, you're gonna see the fans are gonna get nervous. There's gonna be tension at Wrigley, and the players are gonna feel that, and the analysts are gonna jump on the first miscue, and it's a whole cycle where everyone is just waiting for a collapse. Because even though it's supposed to be the Cubs' year, the real story is how they haven't done it in 100 years, right? And so everyone will be thinking in the back of their heads that something bad is going to happen.

And look at Manny. He's the best hitter in the National League right now. The guy has hit like, 20 home runs since the beginning of August. That's crazy. And more dangerous than that is he's all motivated now. When I saw his braids all chopped up, that's when I knew. That's when I knew he was not only going to be this amazing player for the Dodgers, but that he was going to do in that locker room what he needed to do. He's showing he's playing by the rules. He's running out grounders faster than anybody's ever seen, stealing bases and everything. Being a Red Sox fan, it was always like we can accept his antics off the field because of what he does on it. Now he doesn't have any more antics, he's doing everything he's supposed to do, and oh my God, we've got an American Idol.

LIL WAYNE ON COLLEGE SPORTS

Some people were also asking if I like college sports, and the answer is yes, I do. For college football, my favorite team is LSU, of course. On the low, I'm a little bit of a Tulane fan as well. My assistant, she's a Tulane graduate. We almost had East Carolina this year but I ain't gonna say nothing about that.

I also like LSU for basketball, but they aren't my favorite team. That would be UNC. I'm a North Carolina fan to death. All the Dukies are gonna be mad at me, but I can't lie. They actually invited me to the Final Four and it was amazing. I have never experienced nothing like that in my life, even though I had to sit in the section of the team they were playing, it was very enjoyable. I've been a UNC fan since Ronald Curry and Julius Peppers were playing basketball. Actually, I'm just playin'. It's been way longer than that. I wanna say since Jordan was there, but of course I was way too young, so I don't wanna lie. But once I did become old enough to love basketball, at about nine years of age, of course I liked Mike. And he played for UNC, so that was why I got into them.

WHAT'S NEXT FOR LIL WAYNE?

I've been busy in the studio, and right now I'm working on a mix tape, along with Tha Carter IV. The mixed tape you can expect real soon. It's called Dedication 3, and it's going to be Gangsta Grillz by DJ Drama. And then right after that, I'm putting that same mix tape out with twenty extra songs for free on my website.

Lil Wayne is a commercially successful rapper and major sports fan.

2 Comments:

Blogger PleasureCruise said...

that was actually pretty good read. dude doesnt soud as craze as media makes him, ya know? but i can't believe his favorite player is favre!!!

10:26 PM  
Blogger buu said...

his blog might be one of the funniest things espn has ever tried to pull on people. reading it reminds me of the dave chappelle lil jon impression where he has lil jon speak with a british accent.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

« Home