Wednesday, October 05, 2005

what the F.



Don't know how many of you remember that MTV special about hip hop slang where Mobb Deep revealed the origin of "dun" and E-40 said that "fo shaganoff" was the next level. Anyways, at the begining of the show they did some street interviews seeing what local slang the kids were saying these days and they interviewed these 12 year olds who were like "chillax. its a combination of 'chill' and 'relax" and I was like "christ". I think i made up a couple words when i was younger, stupid shit just to amuse myself and my equally dim-witted friends, and thats basically what I thought about these kids and "chillax".
A few months, maybe even a year later, and I'm watching a commercial for some Polly Pockets type shit in between cartoons (yeah I still watch cartoons) and Polly's got an ice skating rink her house. "Skate Polly skate! CHILLAX!" and the words flash on the screen. Slightly stunned I kind of brushed it off thinking I was seeing/hearing things only to see the commercial again later in the week and seeing and hearing it loud and clear. CHILLAX.
This could be a testiment to just how powerful MTV is in influencing pop culture, or just how out of touch the suits and people behind the scenes of big corporations are. "What are kids saying these days? Chillax? Excellent. Put it in the commercial". Maybe its both. I was going to talk about how silly of a word it is until I remembered that it was created by some 12 year old kids from uptown manhattan or some shit. Either way, I think anybody who uses this word just might be a d-bag. Ben said he saw it on a sign at a restaurant once. In Googling the word, I found the tshirt up top as well as many pictures of people chilling, and believe it or not, relaxing.
Chillax

5 Comments:

Blogger bboy said...

Hoolihans, man. Hoolihans. It was a card that said "chillaxin'" with a definition of "v. chilling and relaxing at the bar at Hoolihans."

Fugyalif
v. fuck yo' life, bitch.

11:59 AM  
Blogger bboy said...

Chillax, bro, son of brodal of the brohan clan. gnar gnar binks.

kill me now.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope mobb deep didn't claim dun as their own. It's in the dictionary for fucks sake. defined as one who persistenty demands payment for debts; one who duns.

10:19 PM  
Blogger buu said...

oh they said they got it from their friend who speaks with a speech impediment. their words not mine.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your page loaded really quick for all the content and images I'm impressed

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

« Home